- Is driven by a well-defined image of effective classroom learning and teaching;
- Provides opportunities for teachers to build their content and PCK and examine practice;
- Is research-based and engages teachers as adult learners in the learning approaches they will use with their students;
- Provides opportunities for teachers to collaborate with colleagues and others to improve their practice;
- Supports teachers to serve in leadership roles;
- Links with other parts of the education system; and
- Is designed based on student learning data and is continuously evaluated and improved.
Loucks-Horsley, S., Love, N., Stiles, K.E., Mundy, S., & Hewson, P.E. (2003). Designing professional development for teachers of science and mathematics (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.